Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Last Few days in Bangkok

We moved to our new hotel in Bangkok to begin our Intrepid tour into Cambodia and Vietnam. We met our guide Fila, a Cambodian, who is lovely, interesting and enthusiastic about our tour.
When we were leaving the hotel for the day we asked the hotel porters where we could get a Tuk-Tuk, a motor-bike taxi with a cart of 4 seats attached and they just laughed at us. I think they thought we sounded like chickens the way we said it..tuk tuk tuk.
This was the day for sight-seeing. We saw Wat Po with the giant reclining Budda 40 feet long. It was pretty amazing, all covered in gold leaf. They build the Budda first and then the temple around it. He protects all of Bangkok. Another temple had a wide gold-leaf door jamp so when you passed through, it is said you become a renewed person, all new and fresh and good. Great for hangovers we thought.
For the craic we had our Fortunes told. A little old man with round spectacles and a little hat and a beard in a plait was our man. Very authentic. He told me I sometimes lost the head and needed to meditate more! That when angry I see an elephant like an ant, as in I don't think about the consequences. He said I am good at my artistic job because I think carefully about the emotions of the clients. He said I had a boyfriend who lived very close to my house, behind it.Which is all true. And of course he said I was going to have FIVE kids and lots of cash. I don't believe in all that fortune stuff but it was definitely a fun experience. And I'll definitely meditate more. Some of the Thais were queuing up and had notebooks to write down what he said, they must completely live their lives according to their advice.
We found a nice street for dinner called Phra Atit,(up and at it) very close to Koh San Road but much more chilled. We tried to go home early but kept finding nicer cute little bars.
Tomorrow Ankor Wat in Cambodia

No comments:

Post a Comment